Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Maus


After having read Maus i couldn't register one particular feeling. It was such a powerful and moving story of WWII and the current time of a son trying to reconnect or live in harmony with his father who lived it. Instantly Tears ran down my face when i read the last panel because i was expecting some grand finale or something jaw dropping but instead it took a different turn and not for the worst. 

It just subtly faded with the rathe, Vladek, saying no more stories and was tired and at the bottom a grave showing the dates of the author's mother and father. As subtly as it was it so powerful that everything I had just read came crashing back in a flood. A jumble of memories mostly of how Vladek died anything to keep him and Anja together and then after the war Anja later committed suicide. The whiplash alone with the Past's happy ending my mind wander to her suicide later and instantly tears fell down my face. 

His direction and attempt to bring nothing but the truth of what he was told was nothing short of spectacular. His work in creating different animals for each country and story play at when the mice, Jews, put on masks of Pigs, Poland, to disguise and evade capture. All the while going back and forth to the present and past. 


I had a great Grandfather who served in Germany during WWII and as told as a child that he didn't want to fight or kill anyone but was forced to or they would kill him. My mother's side was a Jewish family that came to America to escape Poland. Dwelling on what it must have been like, I can't even imagine and feel so privileged to live the way I do. I highly recommend those who haven't read Maus to do so. It is a grand read that will leave you breathless. 


No comments:

Post a Comment